Last Updated: June 28, 2023
- Website visitors
- Users who download and use our Apps
- Our customers’ (shippers’) personnel
- Our contracted carriers’ personnel (e.g., drivers)
- Current, former, and prospective vendors and contractors
- Current, former, and prospective investors
A user of the Service is hereinafter referred to as a “User,” or collectively, the “Users.”
Table of Contents
- Links and Information
- Personal Information We Collect
- How We Use Your Information
- How We Disclose Your Information
- Cookies and Other Technologies
- Your Privacy Choices
- Minors Under 18
- International Use
- Additional Information for California Residents
- Changes to this Policy
- Contact Us
This website contains links to third party websites. Please review Section 13 of our Terms of Service, available here, for more information. We are not responsible for the information practices of any third-party websites to which we may link. You should review the privacy policies and terms for any third parties before sharing your personal information with them.
As further described below, we collect personal information in various ways, including directly from you, automatically through your use of the Services, and from other sources. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may combine the information we collect from publicly available or third-party sources.
(i) Personal Information We Collect Directly From You.
Cargomatic collects personal information if you voluntarily choose to share such information. You may browse the Site without disclosing any personal information, although certain personal information will still be collected from you automatically. However, to use particular functionalities provided through the Service, including our Apps, we need your personal information.
Contact Information. When you contact us, including if you request more information about our Services, request a demo, or otherwise communicate us, we collect your name, email address, phone number, the nature of your inquiry, and any other information you choose to provide. We may also collect information related to your job title, company name, business email, and business phone number. If you are a current, former or prospective vendor or investor, we will collect information relevant to any past, current or future transaction between us and you or the company you represent.
Account Information. When you register for a User account (or request we do so on your or your company’s employees’ or contractors’ behalf), complete forms, or communicate with us or others through the Services, we collect information including your name, title, company name, phone number (including to call or text you as part of the Service), email address, and any other personal information you provide in your communication.
Driver Registration and Qualification Information. If you are a carrier or an employee of a carrier (i.e., a driver), we may need additional information before adding you to the Services, including, but not limited to, your driver’s license information, DOT or MC number, certificates of insurance, copy of ICC/DOT authority, W-9 forms, and safety documentation.
Shipment and Delivery Information. If you are an employee of a shipper, we may need additional information to manage the shipment and ensure it arrives at its destination. This may include consignee information the shipper provides to us, which we use solely for the purposes for which the shipper has disclosed. We generally receive consignee information from the shipper, and, if so, rely on the shipper’s assertion that any consignee personal information has been collected in compliance with applicable law and the shipper has the right to disclose this information. The shipper is the controller of consignee information, and any requests regarding this information should be directed to the relevant shipper.
Responses and Feedback. If you participate in our surveys or questionnaires, we collect your responses and feedback, such as User satisfaction or other information related to your use of our Services, and any other information you choose to provide.
Marketing and Promotions. If you agree to receive marketing communications from us, we collect your email, name, phone number, preferences, and if relevant, information about your account and the Services and features you use.
Preferences. We also may collect information about your preferences, including communications preferences, preferences related to your use of the Services, and any other preferences or requests you provide when interacting with us.
(ii) Personal Information We Collect Automatically.
Cargomatic may use technologies that automatically collect and store certain data about your use of the Service. This information may be aggregate and/or anonymous (i.e., non-identifying), or may be associated with you. Whenever we associate usage information with your personal information, we will treat it as personal information.
Device, Browsing, and Usage Information. We track and collect information as you use our online Services, such as browser type, domain names, access times, date/time stamps, operating system, language, device type, unique ID, Internet service provider, referring and exiting URLs, clickstream data, and similar device and browsing information, and geographic areas derived from IP addresses.
GPS Information. Certain vehicles with shipments being transported through the Services may be tracked via GPS. We collect this information for various purposes, including to provide you with support, to notify carriers as soon as shipments are available nearby, to keep consignees informed of arrival times, to help dispatchers or shippers know where drivers are headed, to enhance our Services, and for our internal business purposes.
If you use our Apps, we may also collect your mobile device’s GPS coordinates with your permission (i.e., you must enable location sharing with our Apps before we can collect this information).
IP Addresses. Cargomatic, and/or third parties with whom Cargomatic has contracted to provide services, may collect your Internet Protocol Address (“IP Address”), which is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer or device that you are using by your Internet Service Provider. This number is identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you visit the Site, along with the time of your visit(s) and the pages you visited. We use IP Addresses to monitor locations from which Users navigate the Site and connect to the Apps, and for fraud prevention.
(iii) Personal Information We Collect from Other Sources.
We may collect and receive personal information from other sources, such as compliance monitoring and credential verification services, business partners, clients and customers, data analytics providers, government entities, public databases, and vendors and service providers who provide services on our behalf.
Our primary goal in collecting information is to provide you with an enhanced experience when using the Services and to transact our business.
Cargomatic uses personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide, operate, maintain, and enhance our products and the Services;
- to provide you with information, administrative notices, and communications relevant to your use of our products and Services;
- to process your registration with the Services, including verifying your information is active and valid;
- to contact you for administrative purposes such as customer service, to address intellectual property infringement, defamation issues, or privacy violations related to User content, or to send communications, updates, and promotions related to our products and Services;
- to contact you for marketing and promotional purposes;
- in the case of cookies and automatically-collected information, to personalize or customize our Services (for example, with auto-population of sign-in fields), provide customized content and information, track your participation in any activities on the Services;
- in the case of carriers and shippers, to track the location of shipments transported through the Services;
- to transact our business generally, such as by engaging vendors and financing our operations;
- for billing, identification and authentication, and fraud prevention;
- for internal business purposes, including reporting and performance analysis;
- to analyze Site usage, improve our products and the Service, and develop new products, services, features and functionality;
- for troubleshooting problems, market research, and detecting and protecting against error, fraud or other criminal activity;
- for distribution to carriers providing services through the Cargomatic platform or shippers receiving Services through the Cargomatic platform;
- to conduct market research about the Services, and/or usage or Users of the service, including in order to market the Services;
- to help diagnose problems with our computer server, and to administer our web site(s);
- to protect the Services and our business operations, and to protect our rights or those of others;
- to prevent and detect fraud, unauthorized activities and access, and other misuse, or where we believe necessary to investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety or legal rights of any person or third party, or to investigate violations of, and enforce, our Terms of Service;
- to comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including as part of a judicial proceeding; to respond to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or other legal process; or as part of an investigation or request, whether formal or informal, from law enforcement or a governmental authority;
- to assess and implement mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, bankruptcies, and other business transactions such as financings, and to administer our business, accounting, auditing, compliance, recordkeeping, and legal functions;
- to comply with and conduct financial, tax and accounting obligations, and to maintain appropriate business records and enforce company policies and procedures; and
We may disclose personal information in the following circumstances:
- Any information you include in a publicly-accessible area of the Service, such as a public profile page, will be available to anyone who has access to that content, including other Users.
- Carriers provide services through the Cargomatic platform, and shippers receive Services through the Cargomatic platform. We may provide these carriers and shippers with access to User information, including personal information, as necessary to carry out or receive the services requested or being provided.
- Our service providers work on website or application development, hosting, maintenance, and other services for us. These service providers may have access to and/or process your information, including personal information, in connection with providing these services.
- We may share personal information with third parties to facilitate our business with you, such as if you are a potential vendor or lender.
- We may share personal information with our affiliates and subsidiaries in order to support or provide the Services.
- We may share non-personally identifiable information, such as aggregated User statistics and log data, with others for business purposes.
- We may cooperate with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to comply with the law. Thus, we may access, use, preserve, transfer and disclose your information (including personal information) if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that disclosure is necessary to comply with applicable laws in response to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement or other governmental agencies, or to protect the safety, rights, and property of the Company, our Services or any third party.
- User information, including personal information, may be disclosed and/or transferred to an acquirer, or successor, or assignee as part of any merger, acquisition, financing, sale of assets, or similar transaction, as well as in the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership in which information is transferred to one or more third parties as one of our business assets.
- We also may disclose your information as may be described to you at the time the information is collected, or in any other manner to which you consent.
Like many websites, we may use “cookies” to collect information. A cookie is a data file placed on a device when it is used to access the Services. A Flash cookie is a data file placed on a device via the Adobe Flash plug-in that may be built-in to or downloaded by you to your Device. Cookies and Flash Cookies may be used for many purposes, including, but not limited to, remembering you and your preferences and tracking your visits to our web pages. Cookies work by assigning a number to the User.
If you are a California resident, you have additional rights to opt-out of cookies and other trackers; more information can be found here.
You may decline to share certain personal information with us, in which case we may not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality of the Service.
You may opt-out of receiving email campaigns from us by unsubscribing from such emails. If you receive unsolicited email from a Cargomatic domain, please use the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email, or ask to unsubscribe by emailing email@example.com.
You may make a request regarding your personal information by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To prevent cookies from tracking your activity on our Site or visits across multiple websites, you can set your browser to block certain cookies or notify you when a cookie is set; you can also delete cookies. The “Help” portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your device from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to delete cookies. Users who disable cookies will be able to browse the Site and Services, but some features may not function. If you are a California resident, you have additional rights to opt-out of cookies and other trackers; more information can be found here.
Our Services are not designed for children, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from minors under the age of eighteen (18). If you are a parent or legal guardian and you believe we have collected your child’s information in violation of applicable law, please contact us using the contact information below.
Your Cargomatic account is password-protected so that only you (and other individuals you may authorize to access your account, such as your employer) and authorized Cargomatic staff have access to your account information. In order to maintain this protection, do not give your password to anyone. Further, if someone who represents to you they are Cargomatic staff and asks for any personal account information, including password, check their email to confirm it is a Cargomatic email address. Finally, if you share a computer, you should sign out of your Cargomatic account and close the browser window before someone else logs on.
We utilize many physical and technical safeguards to create and improve the integrity and security of your personal information. However, unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As such, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
The Service is hosted in the United States and is intended and designed for use solely by persons located in the U.S. If you nonetheless attempt to use the Service from other regions of the world with different governing laws, please note that you are transferring your personal information from those regions to the U.S. for storage and processing. By providing any information, including personal information, on or to the Service, you consent to such transfer, storage, and processing.
This section does not address or apply to our handling of personal information that is exempt under the CCPA, such as publicly available information or information protected under the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act. Additionally, this section does not apply to California residents who apply to work with us (please click here for our CCPA applicant privacy notice). Finally, this section does not apply to the extent we collect personal information as a “service provider” under the CCPA, such as when we receive and use consignee information on behalf of our shipper customers.
Personal Information We Collect. Depending on how you use the Services, we may collect (and have collected in the prior 12 months) the following categories of personal information:
- Identifiers. Such as your name, alias, email, phone number, billing and shipping address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, IP address, account name, or other similar identifiers.
- Customer Records. Includes your account and profile information and customer records that contain personal information, such as name, account name, other characteristics or descriptions, email, address, phone number, and other contact information, account credentials, communications preferences, billing and payment information, customer service and support tickets and records, and other information you provide to use our Services. These records also include information relevant to vendors and lenders.
- Commercial Information. Such as records of personal property, products or Services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
- Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information. Includes, but is not limited to, browsing history, clickstream data, search history, and information regarding interactions with our Site, mobile application, advertisements, or emails, including other usage data related to your use of any of our Services or other online services.
- Geolocation Data. Such as location information about a particular individual or device.
- Audio, Electronic, Visual, or Similar Information. Includes information collected via call recordings if you are interacting with us in a customer service capacity or if you call us on a recorded line, recorded meetings and webinars, videos, photographs, User profile images, and security camera footage.
- Inferences. Such as inferences drawn from any of the information described in this section about a User including inferences reflecting an individual’s preferences, characteristics, behaviors, attitudes, abilities, and aptitudes.
- Sensitive Personal Information. In certain circumstances, we may collect social security number, driver’s license number, and precise geolocation.
Sources of Personal Information. We generally collect personal information from the following categories of sources:
- Directly or indirectly from you;
- Our affiliates and subsidiaries;
- Our business partners;
- Trade associations;
- Customers and clients;
- Social networks;
- Internet service providers;
- Operating systems and platforms; and
- Our vendors and service providers.
Purposes for Collecting and Disclosing Personal Information. As described in more detail the “How We Use Personal Information” section above, in general, we collect and otherwise process the personal information we collect for the following business or commercial purposes:
- Services and support, including billing and payments;
- Analytics and improvement;
- Communicating with you;
- Processing your registration and verifying your information;
- Marketing and promotions;
- Personalize or customer our service;
- Tracking shipment location;
- Managing carriers;
- Engaging vendors;
- Analysis, research, and surveys;
- Security and protection of rights;
- Compliance and legal process;
- Auditing, reporting, and other internal operations; and
- General business purposes (including business transactions) and operational support.
Sensitive Personal Information. We use “sensitive personal information” (as defined by the CCPA) generally for the purposes described above. In particular, we use precise geolocation information to provide App services and for shipment tracking purposes; we do not use geolocation information, including precise geolocation, for targeted advertising purposes.
We do not collect, use, or disclose sensitive personal information beyond the purposes authorized by the CCPA.
Retention of Personal Information. We retain your personal information for as long as needed or permitted, based on the reason we obtained it (consistent with applicable law). When deciding how long to keep your personal information, we consider whether we are subject to any legal obligations, or whether we have taken any legal positions (e.g., issued any legal holds or otherwise need to preserve the information). Rather than delete your data, we may also deidentify it by removing identifying details. Where we have committed to maintaining and using personal information in a deidentified form, we agree not to reidentify deidentified data except as permitted by applicable law.
Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties and Other Recipients. The categories of personal information we have disclosed for a business purpose in the preceding twelve (12) months include: identifiers, customer records, commercial information, Internet or other electronic network activity information, geolocation data, audio, video, and other electronic data, inferences, and sensitive personal information. The categories of third parties and other recipients to whom we may disclose personal information for a business purpose may include: affiliates, subsidiaries, business partners, vendors and service providers, investors and lenders, acquirers of business assets, advertising networks, internet service providers, data analytics providers, government entities, operating systems and platforms, and social networks.
Sales and Sharing of Personal Information. The CCPA defines “sale” as disclosing or making available personal information to a third-party in exchange for monetary or other valuable consideration, and “sharing” includes disclosing or making available personal information to a third-party for purposes of cross-contextual behavioral advertising. While we do not disclose personal information to third parties in exchange for monetary compensation, we may be considered as “selling” or “sharing” personal information because of our use of third-party ad and analytics cookies. To this end, we may “share” and “sell” the following categories of personal information: identifiers, and Internet or other electronic network activity information. We disclose these categories to third-party advertising networks, analytics providers, and social networks for purposes of marketing and advertising. We do not sell or share personal information about individuals we know are under age sixteen (16).
Your CCPA Rights. The CCPA provides California residents with certain rights regarding their personal information. Note that these rights only apply to personal information we collect and process under this Policy as a business or controller. For personal information we process on behalf of our business customers and clients in our capacity as a service provider or processor, please submit your request directly to the business customer or client with whom you have a relationship, and we will provide reasonable assistance to that business customer or client as necessary to enable them to respond to your requests to exercise your privacy rights.
In general, California residents, including our business customers’ and clients’ employees who reside in California, have the following rights with respect to their personal information, subject to certain exceptions:
Right to Know/Access. With respect to the personal information we have collected about you, you have the right to request:
- The categories or personal information we collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which the personal information is collected;
- Our business or commercial purposes for collecting, selling, or sharing personal information;
- The categories of third parties to whom we have disclosed personal information; and
- A copy of the specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
Right to Correct. You have the right to request that we correct incorrect personal information about you.
Right to Delete. You have the right to request we delete your personal information.
Right to Opt-Out of Sales and Sharing. You have the right to opt-out of “sales” and “sharing” of your personal information, as those terms are defined under the CCPA. To exercise your right to opt-out of the “sale” or “sharing” of your personal information, click here or use the Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information link at the bottom of our website.
You also have the right to opt-out of “sales” and “sharing” of your personal information through the use of an opt-out preference signal. If our Site detects that your browser or device is transmitting an opt-out preference signal, such as the “global privacy control”—also known as GPC— signal, we will opt that browser or device out of cookies on our Site that result in a “sale” or “sharing” of your personal information. If you come to our Site from a different device or from a different browser on the same device, you will need to opt-out, or use an opt-out preference signal, for that browser and/or device as well.
Right to Limit Use. We do not engage in uses or disclosures of “sensitive personal information” that would trigger the right to limit use of sensitive personal information under the CCPA.
Right to Non-Discrimination. We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of the rights described in this section.
Exercising Your CCPA Rights. If you are a California resident and would like to exercise your CCPA rights, you may do so via any of the methods described below:
- Calling us at (866) 513-2343.
- Emailing us at email@example.com
Verification. Before responding to your request, we must first verify your identity using the personal information you recently provided to us. Please provide us with your full name, the email address you usually use to communicate with us, and, if applicable, your employer’s name. We will take steps to verify your request by matching the information provided by you with the information we have in our records. In some cases, we may request additional information to verify your identity, or where necessary to process your request. If we are unable to verify your identity after a good faith attempt, we may deny the request and, if so, will explain the basis for the denial.
Authorized Agent. You may designate someone as an authorized agent to submit requests and act on your behalf. Authorized agents will be required to provide proof of their authorization in their first communication with us, and we may also require that the relevant consumer directly verify their identity and the authority of the authorized agent.
If you do not understand any of the terms or conditions of any of Cargomatic’s policies, or if you have any technical problems, questions or other issues related to your use of Cargomatic Services, you may contact us using any of the following methods:
211 E. Ocean Blvd, Suite 350
Long Beach CA 90802